Molding and Casting
Duration: October - November 2018
Media: Silicone, Resin
This project involved taking the clay form from 'Get a grip!' and creating a silicone mold to be used in casting more parts out of resin. Additionally, it enabled me to create a part I could actually hold and use with my brush that would not deform like clay while I held it.
I began by refining my clay form since I knew that the silicone mold would translate all of the imperfections in my model's surface, and I wanted to minimize that as much as possible. I ended up almost recreating the form from scratch since the original was bonded around the brush, but I wanted to create a box I could fit the brush into and create more of.
The next step was to create the basin around my form that the silicone would be poured into. Knowing that I would need to create a two-part mold, I chose to place the parting line at the thickest point in the model, right under the finger grip.
After pouring the silicone and coming back to remove the mold, I found that something had gone wrong with the curing process (perhaps the wrong ratio of solutions), and it came out almost like cake batter rather than a hard block. I ended up needing to cut my clay model out of it, and doing a lot of refinishing to make it usable again.
After restarting the entire process, I finally ended up with a usable mold that I could pour resin into. The part that came out of the mold needed a lot of sanding in order to get it to the desired finish, and if I were to continue making more parts, I would definitely recreate the mold around the finished part since it translates details better than the clay did.